Sunday, February 17, 2019

RON 95 vs RON 97



Additional Disclaimer : this entry is based on the result that I tested on my R25. The result might be vary with the other user. 


Note : Please help to read and understand about internal combustion engine & engine knocking since I will not explain these terms. 


Assalamualaikum w.b.t & Hi,


Today I will be writing an entry regarding the petrol in Malaysia. This is quite hot and controversial topic since every people have different opinion. To be specified, I am testing the usage of the RON95 and RON97 on my Yamaha R25. 


As per today, the current price of petrol for RON 95 is RM1.98 per liter whereas RON 97 is RM2.28 per liter

Before I proceed more deeper, I will explain roughly on the RON. RON stands for Research Octane Number which indicates as measurement of the resistance towards compression before it ignites. In another term, higher RON will have higher resistance against compression.


Then how about lower RON? Here is the issue. Petrol with lower RON might have higher tendency to engine knocking which eventually will cause harm to engine and reduce the performance. 


In my review (I would say), I will highlight on the following items :


1) Price

In Malaysia, the price of petrol is inconsistent. So, it's quite hard to make judgement on this item in more details. However, I will make an assumption that the price of petrol is constant in one month as per price mentioned above.

My R25, generally, needs around 10 liters per full tank (left 1 bar and still not blanking). Every week, I might need around 2 times full tank due to high mileage travel. In another term, my R25 needs 80 liters per month.

Calculation:


2) Mileage

Before this, I heard that RON 97 has better mileage compare to RON 95. To be honest, I am quite disappointed with this statement where it does not apply on my motorcycle. I would say I cannot feel the difference.


3) Engine performance

This item cured my sadness (need to pay more) over the RON 97. During long distance riding, I can feel the smoothness of engine. But, after 1 month using RON97, I change back to RON 95 and I feel my engine become quite rough.


4) Top speed

This item is the item that most of the riders prefer on their bikes. Also I get a sad result. Slightly same.


5) Suggestion to readers
  • I think better you test which RON is better on your motorcycle
  • For me, I would prefer RON95.
  • Sometimes if you want to feel engine smoothness, you may use RON97 (might help to protect engine also)


That's all what I feel on my bike base on RON95 and RON97. One thing we need to know, there is no right and wrong in using which RON as long as you pay using your own money.


>>Now I am testing RON100<<



No comments:

Post a Comment